"How To" Topics
*** If you are a current Mines undergraduate student, you will register for courses through Mines and will not need the directions on this page. The directions below are for Mines alumni or graduate students who are taking the TEAM-UP courses after completing their undergraduate programs. ***
Activating Your Ursa Account | Registering for Courses | Access Your BearMail | Access Your Courses Online | Financial Aid
Activating Your Ursa Account
If you have a pop-up blocker installed on your computer you will need to follow the instructions on the screen to remove the pop-up blocker in order to access Ursa. Be sure you have your Bear number ready (you will receive this with your admissions information).
Your Ursa username will then be your first four characters of your last name and a randomly chosen 4-digit number (e.g. smit1234 or fox4321). You will set up your Ursa password during your account activation.
What is Ursa?
Similar to Trailhead at Mines, Ursa is UNC's online single point of access to secure information and tools for students, faculty, and staff. Among the many options available to students through this portal are access to BearMail, your student records, e-bill, and course registration. After you activate your account, the Ursa login link is always available in the yellow Student Resources box on these pages.
With Ursa, you'll be able to:
- View and search the catalog and class schedules
- Register for classes
- Get campus announcements directed to students
- View and pay account balances
- Check your BearMail (university email)
- View grades
- View progress toward degree
- View and order transcripts
Registering For Courses
*** If you are a current Mines undergraduate student, you will register for courses through Mines. The directions below are for Mines alumni or graduate students who are taking the TEAM-UP courses after completing their undergraduate programs. ***
Note: if you not yet activated your Ursa Student Account, directions are available here.
Visit the TEAM-UP Courses by Term page to find the list of available courses.
Log in to Ursa with your User Name (which is the same as the portion of your BearMail address that is before the @ symbol) and Password (the same password that is used to access BearMail). Once you are logged in:
- On the Student tab there is a Register for Classes menu. In this menu you will need to select Register, Add or Drop Classes.
- Select the appropriate term and hit Submit.
- From this point you can register for class on the Add Classes Worksheet
- Input the correct 5-digit Course Registration Number (CRN) for each course (see "Find Your Courses" above) and click Accept/Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Scroll down to check if the course(s) are now listed or if any registration errors occurred.
- If any of your courses can be taken for a variable number of credits, the credit hours column will be blue (and set to 1 credit). Select it and enter the number of credits you wish to take. [Your Program Page will list how many credits have been assigned for that course for that academic term. You can change this setting up until the add/drop date of that course.] If you change any variable credit hours, hit Accept/Submit again.
- Review your schedule for accuracy.
- When you have finished registering go back to the Student tab.
- To view your schedule, under the Register for Classes menu you can choose Detail Schedule, Week at a Glance or Registration History. All three of the choices will give you a different view of your schedule.
If you are having trouble registering, please contact the Ken Clavir in the Office of the Registrar at (970) 351-2231.
Return to Top
Access Your BearMail (Student Email Account)
BearMail is the official email for UNC students and your BearMail address is how you will be contacted for any information concerning your classes, status, changes in scheduling, etc. Your BearMail account information is provided with your admission information; it will be your first four characters of your last name and a randomly chosen 4-digit number (i.e. smit1234 or fox4321). To find out your BearMail email address, log in to Ursa and follow the instructions.
Return to Top
Access Your Courses Online
Access your online courses via the Canvas Login link in the yellow Student Resources box on these pages. All courses from Spring 2017 and after will be in Canvas.
Note: you will not be able to access your course until the first day of class and if you have registered for the class within the past 24 hours you may need to wait for the system to update and grant you access.
- Username: The first 8 characters (everything before the @ symbol) of your UNC generated BearMail address.
- Password: The same password you use to access Ursa and your BearMail account
- The e-mail address that is used for communications sent from your online courses will be your university-generated BearMail address.
- Technical support is available from within your online classroom or here on the Extended Campus site. Just look for links to "Technical Help" or "Technical Support."
Live Technical Support hours:
Mon-Thurs: 7am to 10pm
Fri: 7am to 7pm
Sat-Sun: 10am to 7pm
- You can still submit Technical Support requests for assistance outside the live support hours. A ticket will be created and a technician will follow up with your request.
Return to Top
Current Mines Students
Financial Aid eligibility will be determined by Mines until you graduate from Mines. Please contact Eric Cronkright in the Mines Financial Aid Office: (303) 273-3319 or email@example.com. After your Mines graduation, you may become eligible for aid though UNC.
Students Admitted to UNC
Once a student has graduated from Mines and has been officially admitted to UNC as a Post Baccalaureate for initial teacher licensure, they are eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid through UNC. Please note: students in this category are generally only eligible for Federal undergraduate loans at the Junior\Senior level assuming they have not previously used their total undergraduate, aggregate loan limits. For more information, please see: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/interest-rates
Private student loans may also be an option. For more information, please see: http://www.finaid.org/loans/privatestudentloans.phtml
For more information: contact us at: (970) 351-2502 Carter Hall 1005, Greeley, CO 80639 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Top