Get Started – This program begins each Summer term
U.S. applicants (outside of Colorado) for online programs: please be sure to check your eligibility by state of residence.
The application deadline is February 15th each year. Applications received after February 15 will be considered for the program only if there are any open spots for students. Applicants will be notified no later than April 15 whether they have been accepted into the program or not.
- Apply to the UNC Graduate School and follow all steps for the application fee and submission of official copies of your transcripts (GRE scores are NOT required for this program).
On the application, for Academic Program of Interest choose the appropriate option below based on the program you need:
Follow all graduate school application steps for the application fee and submission of official copies of your transcripts (GRE scores are not required for this program).
International applicants: please read the additional steps below.
You will then continue in the system (or log back in later) to submit the following:
- Teaching American Sign Language-MA
- Teaching American Sign Language-MA: Licensure: World Languages (Grades K-12)
All applicants will be required to demonstrate ASL proficiency prior to acceptance to the TASL program.
To comply with practicum agency/school requirements, students may be required to submit evidence that a criminal background check has been completed prior to practicum/field-based experiences.
- Two academic or professional letters of recommendation from supervisors/teachers who can attest to your academic potential and abilities - the system will help you initiate requests to be sent to these individuals.
- 1-2 page statement of educational goals and philosophy.
When your UNC application package (Steps 1-4) is complete, prospective students will be contacted for a program interview to determine acceptance into the TASL Program. Please note that interviews will not begin until after February 15th.
All international (non-U.S. citizen) applicants should mark Yes for "Are you an international student?" at the beginning of the graduate application process. In addition to any application steps listed above, you will also need to prepare the following for your application:
- Demonstration of Language proficiency – either a Qualifying test score (TOEFL IBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE-A: 60) or a petition for exemption. UNC's institutional code for TOEFL is 4074.
- Copy of passport bio page**
- Financial Documentation** – we will need to verify that you can financially cover the estimated costs (tuition, fees, room, board, insurance, books, supplies, travel) of the time you will be in the U.S. Those applying to programs that last longer than 1 year will only need to provide proof for the first year at the time of application.
** = Items marked with ** are only required for applicants who will be coming to the United States.
For more information about UNC International Admissions and the UNC Center for International Education, please visit the International Admissions site, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 970-351-2831.