UNC Menu

Clinical Mental Health Counseling Ma – Program Eligibility and Transfer Credit

Admission Requirements

  • You must possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, with a 3.0 GPA or better (on a 4.0 scale) on the most recent 60 hours of college credit.
  • If you do not meet the GPA requirement (as determined by the graduate school based on your submitted transcripts), you must submit a minimum GRE score (taken within the last five years) of: 140 Quantitative and 146 Verbal Reasoning, and a combined score of at least 297 with an analytic writing minimum of 3.5. Test scores must be sent directly to the graduate school by the testing agency. UNC's institutional code is R4074.

International Students

International students can attend UNC Extended Campus programs. In order to be issued an F1 visa to come to the states, U.S. immigration requires that international graduate students be in the classroom setting (not attending online) for 6 out of 9 credits each term for which they attend courses in the U.S.

**In some countries, the scholarships and government support available to you for U.S. education may have additional restrictions on how many credits you can take online and count towards your degree program. If you have a sponsor for your U.S. educational experience, please check with them when applying to a program that has a portion of the courses offered only online. Some also have restrictions on the area of study you choose.

Applicants must demonstrate English proficiency in order to be considered. Possible ways to demonstrate proficiency:

  • Qualifying test scores: TOEFL IBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE-A: 60
  • Completion of a degree in the U.S., or from an English speaking country (parts of Europe, Canada), within the last two years.

Students who attend this program at our off-campus (at our Colorado Springs, Denver or Loveland) centers will have immigration documentation tied to that location. If you will need to complete our Center for International Education's Intensive English Program courses language training (due to not meeting the minimum language proficiency), those courses are only offered at the Greeley campus. If you need this training, but will then attend your program coursework off-campus, your initial immigration documentation will be for Greeley, and a new I-20 document will be issued when you transition to the off-campus center for your program courses.

Transferring Credit

We allow a maximum of 6 transfer credits. For further information, please contact the program coordinator, Dr. Heather Helm.

Get Started / Apply


Credits Required:
Time to Completion:
2-3 years
$555/credit hour

Delivery Options:

Program Coordinator:

Dr. Heather Pendleton-Helm


Request Information