- Possess (or be in the process of finishing) a master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or a comparable degree from a foreign institution.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or better (on a 4.00 point scale) for the most recent degree earned or current degree in progress. If you are still completing your master's degree at the time you apply, admission will be based on your current cumulative GPA, and you will need to re-submit your official transcript (showing your conferred degree and final GPA) during your first semester. If your final GPA fell below 3.00, you will be given additional requirements as defined by the academic program that must be met within one calendar year to remain enrolled at UNC.
- You must hold a teaching or special service provider license, and hold or be eligible for Colorado's Specialist in Gifted Education Endorsement or the equivalent.
- You must have completed two years of successful teaching experience or the equivalent.
- Note for those seeking the Colorado Initial Administrator License with Director of Gifted Education Endorsement: to be eligible for the license/endorsement once you complete the program, you must have completed a minimum of two years experience specifically working with students with exceptional academic and talent aptitude.
Eligibility by State
At this time, UNC can serve online education to students from every state, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. However, we are not currently accepting students to our online programs who reside in the CNMIs. Due to how fluid these agreements can be at the state or federal level, we recommend checking our Eligibility by State page for details.
International students residing outside of the United States are eligible to apply to our online programs. Applicants for online programs must demonstrate English proficiency in order to be considered. Possible ways to demonstrate proficiency:
- Qualifying test scores: TOEFL iBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE: 60
- Completion of a degree in the U.S., or from an English speaking country (parts of Europe, Canada), within the last two years.
Students in completely online UNC programs are not required to come to the United States. You will not need student Visas or receive any immigration documentation, and do not need to provide financial documentation during the application process.
Endorsement-Only Transfer Credit Policy
Graduate endorsement programs feature highly specialized learning outcomes determined by our expert faculty (and, in many cases, driven by state endorsement preparation requirements). Therefore, to ensure that endorsement program completers attain this specialized knowledge, students will need to complete all coursework directly from this UNC program.