Get Started – You Can Begin Any Term
We recommend that you apply at least 60 days before the start of your first semester, but you can contact the Program Coordinator to confirm upcoming deadlines.
U.S. applicants (outside of Colorado) for online programs: please be sure to check your eligibility by state of residence.
The Application Process
You will apply to the program and then submit additional materials:
- Apply to the UNC Graduate School and follow all steps for the application fee and submission of official copies of your transcripts (GRE scores are NOT required for this program). International applicants: please read the additional steps below.
On the application, for Academic Program of Interest choose the appropriate option below based on the program you need:
You will then continue in the system (or log back in later) to submit the following:
- Education M.A.T. - English Education Emphasis (Extended Campus)
- Graduate Certificate (Non-Degree): Composition and Literary Studies
- Three professional letters of recommendation - the system will help you initiate requests to be sent to these individuals.
- Statement of Goals addressing your potential as a graduate student and future professional goals. The letter should be 500 words or less.
Once you apply to the UNC Graduate School and your application packet is complete, your application will be reviewed by the graduate school then sent to the faculty/program for an admission decision. A completed application typically takes four to six weeks to process.
All international (non-U.S. citizen) applicants should mark Yes for "Are you an international student?" at the beginning of the graduate application process. In addition to any application steps listed above, you will also need to prepare the following for your application:
- Demonstration of Language proficiency – either a Qualifying test score (TOEFL iBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE: 60) or a petition for exemption. UNC's institutional code for TOEFL is 4074.
- Copy of passport bio/photo page *
- Financial Documentation * # – we will need to verify that you can pay the estimated costs (tuition, fees, room, board, insurance, books, supplies, travel) for the time you will be in the U.S. Those applying to programs that last longer than 1 year will only need to provide proof for the first year at the time of application.
* = Items marked with * are only required for applicants who will be coming to the United States.
# = Items marked with # are not required with your initial application. You will submit them after you have been admitted to UNC.
For more information about UNC International Admissions and the UNC Center for International Education, please visit the International Admissions site, email email@example.com, or call 970-351-2831.