UNC Menu

Literacy MA or Reading Teacher (K-12) Endorsement – Eligibility & Transfer Credit

Admission Requirements

  • You must possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, with a 3.0 GPA or better (on a 4.0 scale) on the most recent 60 hours of college credit.
  • You must have one year of full-time teaching experience.

International Students

International students can attend UNC Extended Campus programs. In order to be issued an F1 visa to come to the states, U.S. immigration requires that international graduate students be in the classroom setting (not attending online) for 6 out of 9 credits each term for which they attend courses in the U.S.

**In some countries, the scholarships and government support available to you for U.S. education may have additional restrictions on how many credits you can take online and count towards your degree program. If you have a sponsor for your U.S. educational experience, please check with them when applying to a program that has a portion of the courses offered only online. Some also have restrictions on the area of study you choose.

Applicants must demonstrate English proficiency in order to be considered. Possible ways to demonstrate proficiency:

  • Qualifying test scores: TOEFL IBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE-A: 60
  • Completion of a degree in the U.S., or from an English speaking country (parts of Europe, Canada), within the last two years.

Students who attend this program at our off-campus (at our Colorado Springs, Denver or Loveland) centers will have immigration documentation tied to that location. If you will need to complete our Center for International Education's Intensive English Program courses language training (due to not meeting the minimum language proficiency), those courses are only offered at the Greeley campus. If you need this training, but will then attend your program coursework off-campus, your initial immigration documentation will be for Greeley, and a new I-20 document will be issued when you transition to the off-campus center for your program courses.

Transferring Credit

Applicable graduate credit with a grade of A or B from an accredited university may be able to be applied towards this academic program. Master's and post-master's specialist degree students must complete a minimum of 24 credits at the University of Northern Colorado. All work counted in a degree program must be within five years for a master's degree and six years for a specialist degree. The time limit is calculated from the beginning of the first class transferred in and counted in the degree program. Students must submit an original transcript to their advisor for review. Student and advisor then complete a Transfer of Credit form to submit along with the original transcript to the Grad School for review and final approval.

Get Started / Apply

Request Information


Credits Required:
Master of Arts = 33
Endorsement = 29
Time to Completion:
2 years
$495/credit hour

Delivery Options:

Program Coordinator:

Dr. Jim Erekson


Program & Enrollment Manager:

Jon Shaw


Request Information

What Students Say

"Working side by side with other teachers from the area has not only allowed me to gain knowledge of new best practices, but has given me a collegial cadre of friends who share a passion for children and teaching.  In every way, UNC has been a positive experience.” 

– Kimberly Bontempo, Graduate

"I am currently in my 22nd year of teaching where I have taught from Kindergarten through 8th grade, and going back to graduate school was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The pace was perfect and the courses were always very engaging."

– Penny Hahn, Graduate