UNC Menu

Higher Education & Student Affairs Leadership PhD – Eligibility & Transfer Credit

Admission Requirements

  • Minimum GRE score (taken within the last five years) of: 140 Quantitative, 146 Verbal Reasoning, and a combined score of at least 297 with an analytic writing minimum of 3.5. Test scores must be sent directly to the graduate school by the testing agency. UNC's institutional code is R4074.
  • You must possess a master's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university, with a 3.0 GPA or better (on a 4.0 scale) on your most recently completed degree.
  • Your master's degree must be in higher education, college student affairs, or a related field and you will need two years of successful work experience in an institution of higher education or a related field.
  • Prerequisite course: SRM 600 Introduction to Graduate Research (3) or equivalent – you may be provisionally admitted if you indicate a plan to make up the prerequisite deficiency before enrollment in advanced research courses.

International Students

International students can attend UNC Extended Campus programs. In order to be issued an F1 visa to come to the states, U.S. immigration requires that international graduate students be in the classroom setting (not attending online) for 6 out of 9 credits each term for which they attend courses in the U.S.

**In some countries, the scholarships and government support available to you for U.S. education may have additional restrictions on how many credits you can take online and count towards your degree program. If you have a sponsor for your U.S. educational experience, please check with them when applying to a program that has a portion of the courses offered only online. Some also have restrictions on the area of study you choose.

Applicants must demonstrate English proficiency in order to be considered. Possible ways to demonstrate proficiency:

  • Qualifying test scores: TOEFL IBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE-A: 60
  • Completion of a degree in the U.S., or from an English speaking country (parts of Europe, Canada), within the last two years.

Students who attend this program at our off-campus (at our Colorado Springs, Denver or Loveland) centers will have immigration documentation tied to that location. If you will need to complete our Center for International Education's Intensive English Program courses language training (due to not meeting the minimum language proficiency), those courses are only offered at the Greeley campus. If you need this training, but will then attend your program coursework off-campus, your initial immigration documentation will be for Greeley, and a new I-20 document will be issued when you transition to the off-campus center for your program courses.

Transferring Credit

HESAL doctoral students may transfer up to 12 credit hours of graduate credit with a grade of A or B from an accredited university, with the approval of their advisor. Once admitted, students should secure a decision on applicable credit prior to the scheduled term for any equivalent course they intend to transfer.

Students must submit an original transcript to their advisor for review. Student and advisor then complete a Transfer of Credit form to submit along with the original transcript to the Grad School for review and final approval. All work counted in a doctoral degree program must be completed within eight years. The time limit is calculated from the beginning of the first class transferred in and counted in the degree program.

Get Started / Apply

Request Information


Credits Required:
Time to Completion:
2 years, 9 months plus dissertation
$610/credit hour

Delivery Options:

Program Coordinator:

Florence M. Guido, PhD


Request Information