Get Started – Begins Each Fall Term
Applicants for Online Programs: please be sure to check your eligibility by state of residence.
The deadline for completed applications (including all supplemental materials) each year is February 15. Admission is competitive and completed applications will be reviewed in the month of February.
If the cohort is not filled with the initial review of applications in February, additional applications will be considered on a space available basis. You may contact firstname.lastname@example.org to see if applications are still being accepted for the upcoming Fall term, or if you should apply for the following Fall.
The Application Process
You will apply to the program and then submit additional materials:
- Apply to the UNC Graduate School
You will then click on "Submit Supplemental Items" (or log back in later and choose "Bear App Profile") to submit the following in the online application system once you have completed your graduate school application:
- Choose Nursing Education-PHD as your academic program of interest on the application.
- Follow all graduate school application steps for the application fee and submission of official copies of your transcripts and GRE score (the Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for the University of Northern Colorado is R4074).
- International students: please read additional directions below.
- Three professional letters of recommendation - the system will help you initiate requests to be sent to these individuals. Please use the special note function in the recommendation request form to ask particular recommenders to address the following topics:
- One recommender to address your experience with / interest in / potential for nursing education, and professional leadership skills.
- One doctoral-prepared nursing educator to address your academic potential.
- One additional recommender of your choice.
- Personal Statement of future goals/interest in nursing education (two page maximum, 12 point font, one inch paper margins)
- Current vita or resume
- Example of scholarly work or project
- Copy of current RN license
- Official GRE scores (less than five years old). Test scores must be sent directly to the graduate school by the testing agency. UNC’s institutional code is R4074.
Once you apply to the UNC Graduate School and your application packet is complete, your application will be reviewed by the graduate school then sent to the faculty/program for an admission decision. A completed application typically takes four to six weeks to process.
All international (non-U.S. citizen) applicants should mark Yes for "Are you an international student?" at the beginning of the graduate application process. You will also need to prepare the following for your application:
- Demonstration of Language proficiency – either a Qualifying test score (TOEFL IBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE-A: 60) or a petition for exemption. UNC's institutional code for TOEFL is 4074.
- Copy of passport bio page**
- Financial Documentation** – we will need to verify that you can financially cover the estimated costs (tuition, fees, room, board, insurance, books, supplies, travel) of the time you will be in the U.S. Those applying to programs that last longer than 1 year will only need to provide proof for the first year at the time of application.
** = Items marked with ** are only required for applicants that will be coming to the United States.
For more information about UNC International Admissions and the UNC Center for International Education, please visit the International Admissions site, email email@example.com, or call 970-351-2831.