Working nurses can complete this 50 credit hour program part-time in eight academic terms (less than three years).
- All courses except clinical and practicum courses are delivered online.
- There is one Summer visit to our campus in Greeley, Colorado, during which you will complete some of your clinical hours. The School of Nursing works in partnership with Banner Health, Medical Center of the Rockies, Platte Valley Medical Center and area extended care facilities for clinical experience opportunities.
- The majority of your practicum clinical hours will be completed at rural facilities in your regional area. Colorado students who aren't currently living in or near a rural area will have support from Centennial AHEC for housing arrangements related to covering those hours, and students outside of Colorado can contact other area offices of the AHEC network.
- See the Planned Course Sequence (listing which courses will be delivered each term of your program). You can also view an example Current Program Students page.
Required Coursework (50 Credit Hours)
Required Major Credits (12 Hours)
NURS 507 Policy, Leadership and Nursing Issues (3)
NURS 601 Theoretical Foundations for Advanced Nursing (3)
NURS 606 Research and Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing (3)
NURS 608 Advance Health Care Concepts (3)
NP Coursework (16 Hours)
NURS 612 Advanced Pharmacology (4)
NURS 613 Advanced Health Assessment (4)
NURS 614 Advanced Pathophysiology (3)
NURS 624 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Advanced Practice of Nursing (3)
NURS 690 Advanced Professional Role (2)
AGACNP Emphasis (22 Hours)
NURS 651 Adult Gerontology Acute Care I (3)
NURS 652 Adult Gerontology Acute Care II (3)
NURS 653 Adult Gerontology Acute Care III (3)
NURS 682 AGACNP Practicum I (3)
NURS 683 AGACNP Practicum II (2)
NURS 684 AGACNP Acute Care Skills (1)
NURS 686 AGACNP Practicum III (3)
NURS 693 AGACNP Synthesis Practicum (4)
Clinical Hours (585 Hours)
A minimum of 585 clinical hours are completed while enrolled in the clinical/practicum courses (NURS 682, 683, 684, 686 and 693). These courses involve advanced practice skills labs, evidence-based practice simulations and clinical decision-making competencies, as well as clinical hours in advanced practice skill acquisition.
Faculty will work with students on clinical placement with preceptors (licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant).
Choose Between Comprehensive Exam and Thesis Options
- Most students complete the MS requirements via completion of a comprehensive exam.
- Completion of a master's thesis via NURS 699 Master's Thesis (6) is also an option.
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.