A Post-Master's Certificate for Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nursing Practice
With this Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) Graduate Certificate program, you will be able to promote health and assess, diagnose, monitor, treat and coordinate the care of acutely and critically ill adolescents, adults, and older adults with a focus on the rural environment. A primary focus of this specialized acute care role is to improve transitions of care and help prevent hospital readmissions.
You can continue your current MSN career while attending this part-time graduate program, due to the asynchronous ("not at the same time") online delivery format the majority of the year. There is a 1-week summer intensive session in Greeley, Colorado, during the program. Practicums are planned in your regional area with existing clinical partners. The program can be completed in less than two years.
Certifications in Advanced Practice (APN / APRN) Specialties with Growing Demand
The demand for APNs who are qualified to care for both acute-care patients and our aging population is growing rapidly. The coursework in this certificate will allow you to focus your career in the new combined Adult Gerontology and Acute Care specialized practice. Upon graduation, you will be eligible to apply for national certification credentials:
- The AGACNP-BC certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or;
- The ACNPC-AG certification from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) Board.
Graduates can also apply for state licensure as an advanced practice nurse (APN/APRN) in adult-gerontology acute care.
Time to Completion:
5 terms (less than 2 years)
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online + Summer Greeley Experiences: starts each Fall term.
Working nurses can complete the 27 credit hour AGACNP Post-Master's Certificate program part-time in five academic terms (less than two years).
- All courses except clinical and practicum courses are delivered online.
- There is one Summer visit to our campus in Greeley, Colorado, during which you will complete some of your clinical hours. The School of Nursing works in partnership with Banner Health, Medical Center of the Rockies, Platte Valley Medical Center and area extended care facilities for clinical experience opportunities.
- The majority of your practicum clinical hours will be completed at rural facilities in your regional area.
Required Coursework (27 Credit Hours)
To see the upcoming courses, visit this program's Current Students page. Though students start the program each Fall term, the current students page will serve all current AGACNP certificate students on one page.
See the Planned Course Sequence (listing which courses will be delivered each term of your program).
- NURS 624 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Advanced Practice of Nursing (3)
- NURS 651 Adult Gerontology Acute Care I (3)
- NURS 652 Adult Gerontology Acute Care II (3)
- NURS 653 Adult Gerontology Acute Care III (3)
- NURS 682 AGACNP Practicum I (3)
- NURS 683 AGACNP Practicum II (2)
- NURS 684 AGACNP Acute Care Skills (1)
- NURS 686 AGACNP Practicum III (3)
- NURS 690 Advanced Professional Role (2)
- NURS 693 AGACNP Synthesis Practicum (4)
Clinical Hours (585 Hours)
A minimum of 585 clinical hours are completed while enrolled in the clinical/practicum courses (NURS 682, 683, 684, 686 and 693). These courses involve advanced practice skills labs, evidence-based practice simulations and clinical decision-making competencies, as well as clinical hours in advanced practice skill acquisition.
Faculty will work with students on clinical placement with preceptors (licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant).
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Visit the School of Nursing's AGACNP Graduate Certificate program page.
- Learn more about the School of Nursing Faculty.
Other AGACNP Programs
- AGACNP as an MSN degree: learn about our Nursing: Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Master's).
- Earn an AGACNP Doctorate: the Nursing DNP – Nursing: Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Post-Bachelor's DNP) is a terminal nursing practice degree.