A BSN-to-DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice) Degree with Adult Gerontology Acute Care Focus
PLEASE NOTE: this program is not currently accepting applications.
The Nursing DNP – Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) Concentration program is a practice-focused doctorate designed for working BSN nurses. You will learn to promote health and assess, diagnose, monitor, treat and coordinate the care of acutely and critically ill adolescents, adults, and older adults. The program emphasizes the importance of transitions of care and aging in place.
This program features a part-time plan of study to fit the schedules of working BSN RNs. Coursework is via asynchronous ("not at the same time") online delivery the majority of the year. There are two summer intensive sessions in Greeley, Colorado, during the program. Practicums are planned in your regional area with existing clinical partners.
An Advanced Practice Doctoral Degree with a High-Demand Specialty
Upon graduation, you will be eligible to apply for national APN certification credentials that are specific to Adult Gerontology Acute Care:
- The AGACNP-BC certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or;
- The ACNPC-AG certification from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) Board.
Graduates can also apply for state licensure as an advanced practice nurse (APN/APRN) in adult-gerontology acute care.
Completing this program also means that you will have earned the terminal degree for advanced practice nurses (schools affiliated with the American Association of Colleges of Nurses have endorsed the Doctor of Nursing Practice degree as the terminal degree).
Time to Completion:
5 years (part-time)
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online + Summer Greeley Experiences: starts each Fall term.
Please Refer Questions to...
Required Coursework (94 Credit Hours)
To see the upcoming courses, visit this program's Current Students page. Though students start the program each Fall term, the current students page will serve all current Nursing DNP: AGACNP students on one page.
See the Planned Course Sequence (listing which courses will be delivered each term of your program).
Nursing Science BS to DNP Core (24 Hours)
- NURS 507 Policy, Leadership and Nursing Issues (3)
- NURS 601 Theoretical Foundations for Advanced Nursing (3)
- NURS 608 Advance Health Care Concepts (3)
- NURS 618 Epidemiology in Advance Nursing Practice (3)
- NURS 668 Population Centered Health Care (3)
- NURS 678 Professional Practice and Healthcare Finance Seminar (3)
- NURS 700 Advanced Nursing Theory (3)
- NURS 707 Leadership in Health Policy (3)
Nursing Practice / AGACNP Concentration (38 Hours)
- NURS 612 Advanced Pharmacology (4)
- NURS 613 Advanced Health Assessment (4)
- NURS 614 Advanced Pathophysiology (3)
- NURS 624 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Advanced Practice of Nursing (3)
- NURS 651 Adult Gerontology Acute Care I (3)
- NURS 652 Adult Gerontology Acute Care II (3)
- NURS 653 Adult Gerontology Acute Care III (3)
- NURS 682 AGACNP Practicum I (3)
- NURS 683 AGACNP Practicum II (2)
- NURS 684 AGACNP Acute Care Skills (1)
- NURS 686 AGACNP Practicum III (3)
- NURS 690 Advanced Professional Role (2)
- NURS 693 AGACNP Synthesis Practicum (4)
Research Core (29 Hours)
- NURS 606 Research and Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing (3)
- NURS 723 Design, Methods and Analysis in Health Care Research, Part I (3)
- NURS 724 Design, Methods and Analysis in Health Care Research, Part II (3)
- NURS 725 Translational Research Methods (3)
- NURS 791 DNP Seminar I (1)
- NURS 792 DNP Seminar II (1)
- NURS 793 DNP Seminar III (1)
- NURS 795 DNP Scholarly Project Proposal Seminar (2)
- NURS 798 DNP Scholarly Project Practicum (12 total)
Elective (3 Hours)
3 elective credits required, approval of program coordinator needed.
Clinical Hours (1,185 Hours)
A minimum of 1,185 clinical/simulation/lab/practicum hours are completed while enrolled in the program courses as follows:
- 540 minimum total clinical hours in NURS 682, 683, 686, and 693.
- 60 minimum total simulation/lab hours between NURS 613 and NURS 684.
- 585 minimum total practicum hours in NURS 678 (45 hrs) and 798 (540 hrs).
These courses involve advanced practice skills labs, evidence-based practice simulations and clinical decision-making competencies, as well as clinical hours in advanced practice skill acquisition.
Our clinical placement coordinator is dedicated to the Nurse Practitioner programs to assist Nurse Practitioner students in finding clinical placements and qualified preceptors, which include licensed physician, nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, or physician assistant.
DNP Scholarly Project
Because of the clinical focus of this degree, rigorous academic standards are maintained throughout the program rather than completion of a dissertation. As part of the research core coursework, you will complete an evidence-based scholarly project designed by the student in collaboration with a faculty.
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Learn more about the School of Nursing Faculty.
Other AGACNP Programs
- MSN degree: if you would prefer a master's degree only, learn about our Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Master's).
- Post-Master's Certificate: if you already have an MSN degree, learn about the Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Post-Master's Certificate).