Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Master's Degree
An APN Degree for Working Nurses
Through the Nursing Master of Science – Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) Emphasis program, you are prepared for advanced clinical practice as an Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP). The AGACNP emphasis teaches health promotion, assessment, diagnosis, monitoring, treatment and coordination of care of acutely and critically ill adolescents, adults, and older adults. The program addresses the needs of both urban and rural communities, and emphasizes the importance of transitions of care and aging in place.
You may have the option of continuing to work while in the program due to the online delivery format the majority of the year. Students attend two mandatory summer intensive sessions in Greeley, Colorado during the program. Students and faculty work together to secure clinical placements for the required 540 clinical hours.
An Advanced Practice (APN / APRN) Specialty with Growing Demand
Through this convenient Master of Science degree, you'll be prepared to engage in advanced clinical practice. Upon graduation, you will be eligible to apply for national certification credentials:
- The AGACNP-BC certification from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or;
- The ACNPC-AG certification from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) Board.
Graduates can also apply for state licensure as an advanced practice nurse (APN/APRN) in adult-gerontology acute care. This program also offers a seamless transition to our post-master's DNP program for those students who wish to continue on for the terminal degree.
Time to Completion:
8 terms (less than 3 years)
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online + Summer Greeley Experiences: starts each Fall term
Working nurses can complete this program part-time in eight academic terms (less than three years).
- All courses except clinical and practicum courses are delivered online.
- There are two Summer visits to our campus in Greeley, Colorado, during which you will complete some of your clinical hours. The School of Nursing works in partnership with Banner Health, Medical Center of the Rockies, Platte Valley Medical Center and area extended care facilities for clinical experience opportunities.
- The majority of your practicum clinical hours will be completed at rural facilities in your regional area.
Required Coursework (50 Credit Hours)
To see a typical list of courses by term, visit an example Current Students page for this program.
See the Planned Course Sequence (listing which courses will be delivered each term of your program).
Required Major Credits (12 Hours)
- NURS 507 Policy, Leadership and Nursing Issues (3)
- NURS 601 Theoretical Foundations for Advanced Nursing (3)
- NURS 606 Research and Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing (3)
- NURS 608 Advance Health Care Concepts (3)
NP Coursework (16 Hours)
AGACNP Emphasis (22 Hours)
- NURS 651 Adult Gerontology Acute Care I (3)
- NURS 652 Adult Gerontology Acute Care II (3)
- NURS 653 Adult Gerontology Acute Care III (3)
- NURS 682 AGACNP Practicum I (3)
- NURS 683 AGACNP Practicum II (2)
- NURS 684 AGACNP Acute Care Skills (1)
- NURS 686 AGACNP Practicum III (3)
- NURS 693 AGACNP Synthesis Practicum (4)
Clinical Hours (540 Hours)
A minimum of 540 clinical hours are completed while enrolled in the clinical/practicum courses (NURS 682, 683, 684, 686 and 693). These courses involve advanced practice skills labs, evidence-based practice simulations and clinical decision-making competencies, as well as clinical hours in advanced practice skill acquisition.
Faculty will work with students on clinical placement with preceptors (licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant).
Choose Between Comprehensive Exam and Thesis Options
- Most students fulfill the MS requirements via successful completion of a comprehensive exam.
- Completion of a master's thesis via NURS 699 Master's Thesis (6) is also an option.
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Learn more about the School of Nursing Faculty.
Other AGACNP Programs
- Earn an AGACNP Doctorate: the Nursing: Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Post-Bachelor's DNP) is a terminal nursing practice degree.
- If you already have an MSN degree, see our Nursing: Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (Post-Master's Certificate).