Introduction to Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education for Practicing Teachers
An Online Professional Renewal Course
This graduate-level course is approved by CDE to address the Colorado licensure renewal rules related to English Learner Educator Standards.
This course provides an introduction to the education of culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) learners in mainstream classrooms. You will...
- Gain a basic understanding of theories, concepts, and research related to CLD populations, second language acquisition, literacy development for CLD students, and CLD teaching strategies.
- Emphasize classroom application of theory and research to support emerging bilingual students’ language and literacy development, as well as academic content learning across the curriculum for school success.
- Engage in critical reflection on classroom practices related to linguistic and cultural diversity, and be able to apply what you have learned to your own teaching contexts.
Count This Course Toward a UNC Graduate Program
This course can be counted toward many UNC graduate programs if you choose to pursue one.
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (Master's, Endorsement or Certificate)
- Curriculum Studies (Master's)
- Educational Technology, Innovation & Pedagogy (Master's)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL; Graduate Certificate)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages / Multilingual Education (TESOL; Master's)
Once you are admitted, speak to your advisor to ensure that this course is applied to your program requirements.
This information is for individuals who would like to enroll directly in this online course. If you are interested in having UNC deliver a section of this course for a group of educators at your school, district or educational organization, please visit the ECLD 513 direct delivery page.
Level of Study
Fall Course Dates
August 23 - December 10, 2021
Add/Register by: August 27
Drop by: September 3
Withdraw by: December 3
Deborah Romero, Ph.D.
$350 / course
Direct Delivery to Schools or Districts
UNC can also plan a direct delivery of this course for school districts or groups who contact us.
Not Finding the Course You Need?
More UNC on-campus and online courses are available...