Applying to the Educational Studies EdD Program
Get Started – Starts Late July 2021
Details About the Online + Summer Loveland Visits Delivery
This mostly online delivery option begins near the end of the Summer term (late July). The minimal face-to-face requirements allow you to attend from anywhere, while still allowing you to meet your fellow students and fulfill doctoral residency requirements.
- Fall and Spring terms: coursework is completely online.
- Summer terms: you will have one course delivered in Loveland, Colorado, for 5 days or less each of the first three Summers.
- Your dissertation defense will be presented on campus (in Greeley) the final semester of your program.
- Priority Application Deadline: May 1
- Standard Application Deadline: after the priority application deadline, spots are filled on a first-come, first served basis for qualified applicants. Please contact the Program & Enrollment manager about available space after the deadline.
Thank you for your interest in this UNC graduate program! You will complete the UNC Graduate School application and then submit additional materials. Please review the Eligibility section of the Program Summary page prior to application.
U.S. applicants (outside of Colorado) for online programs: please be sure to check your eligibility by state of residence.
Step 1 – Apply
Apply to the UNC Graduate School (the bullets below may help you as you complete the application).
On the application, choose the following program:
Educational Studies Ed.D. (Extended Campus)
Request 3 academic or professional letters of recommendation from those who can attest to your academic potential and abilities. You will be asked to supply information for your recommenders in the application.
International applicants: please read the additional instructions below.
If you are unable to complete your application in one session, you can log back in to your application later to complete it. The application fee process will appear once you submit your application.
Step 2 – Submit Transcripts & Supplemental Items
You will then continue in the system (or log into the Admissions Portal) to complete the following:
All applicants will need to request one official transcript from each regionally accredited college or university where a bachelor's degree or higher was earned (or is in progress). Some applicants may need to provide additional transcripts. Situations that require this are listed on the Graduate School website (choose Domestic or International). Directions for having your official transcript(s) sent to UNC are listed in the Application Portal.
Writing sample – an academic paper or publication, no more than 25 pages.
Statement of Goals addressing your potential as a graduate student and future professional goals. The statement should be 500 words or less.
The application portal will also show you which of your recommendations have been completed.
Please note: GRE scores are being waived as a requirement for admission to this program for 2021 academic terms.
Once you apply to the UNC Graduate School and your application packet is complete, your application will be reviewed by the graduate school then sent to the faculty/program for an admission decision. The timing of the admission decision depends on each individual program’s deadline and review process.
All international (non-U.S. citizen) applicants should mark Yes for "Are you an international student?" at the beginning of the graduate application process. In addition to any application steps listed above, you will also need to prepare the following for your application:
- Demonstration of Language proficiency – either a Qualifying test score (TOEFL iBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE: 60) or a petition for exemption. UNC's institutional code for TOEFL is 4074.
- Copy of passport bio/photo page *
- Financial Documentation * # – we will need to verify that you can pay the estimated costs (tuition, fees, room, board, insurance, books, supplies, travel) for the time you will be in the U.S. Those applying to programs that last longer than 1 year will only need to provide proof for the first year at the time of application.
* = Items marked with * are only required for applicants who will be coming to the United States.
# = Items marked with # are not required with your initial application. You will submit them after you have been admitted to UNC.
For more information about UNC International Admissions and the UNC Center for International Education, please visit the International Admissions site, email email@example.com, or call 970-351-2831.