Applying to these Gifted Education Programs
Get Started – These Programs Begin Each Fall Term
Certificate Students: this program can be completed 100% online, with optional visits to campus.
Endorsement and Master of Arts students: this program is completed mostly online. The Fall and Spring semesters are completely online. Summer coursework is partially online but also involves a mix of optional and required visits to the UNC campus in Greeley, Colorado:
- An optional on-campus field experience during the first summer of coursework.
- The program culminates with students completing a 2 1/2 week practicum on campus teaching in the Summer Enrichment Program.
Recommended Application Deadline
The application deadline is July 15. Additional students can be admitted after that date if space is available. Please contact the Program Coordinator if you are applying after the deadline.
Thank you for your interest in this UNC graduate program! You will complete the UNC Graduate School application and then submit additional materials. Please review the Eligibility section of the Program Summary page prior to application.
U.S. applicants (outside of Colorado) for online programs: please be sure to check your eligibility by state of residence.
Step 1 – Apply
Apply to the UNC Graduate School (the bullets below may help you as you complete the application).
On the application, you will choose one of the following programs:
- Graduate Certificate (Non-Degree): Gifted Education (Extended Campus)
- Licensure: Gifted Education Core Endorsement (Extended Campus)
Special Education M.A. - Gifted Education Specialist Endorsement (Extended Campus)
International applicants: please read the additional instructions below.
If you are unable to complete your application in one session, you can log back in to your application later to complete it. The application fee process will appear once you submit your application.
Step 2 – Submit Transcripts & Supplemental Items
You will then continue in the system (or log into the Admissions Portal) to complete the following:
All applicants will need to request one official transcript from each regionally accredited college or university where a bachelor's degree or higher was earned (or is in progress). Some applicants may need to provide additional transcripts. Situations that require this are listed on the Graduate School website (choose Domestic or International). Directions for having your official transcript(s) sent to UNC are listed in the Application Portal.
Statement of Philosophy and Professional Goals in relation to the needs in the field (1 to 2 pages).
You will complete a Reference Check Form (to indicate references the department can contact).
Proof of valid teaching license, if you have one.
GRE scores are NOT required for this program.
Once you apply to the UNC Graduate School and your application packet is complete, your application will be reviewed by the graduate school then sent to the faculty/program for an admission decision. The timing of the admission decision depends on each individual program’s deadline and review process.
All international (non-U.S. citizen) applicants should mark Yes for "Are you an international student?" at the beginning of the graduate application process. In addition to any application steps listed above, you will also need to prepare the following for your application:
- Demonstration of Language proficiency – either a Qualifying test score (TOEFL iBT: 80, IELTS: 6.5, PTE: 60) or a petition for exemption. UNC's institutional code for TOEFL is 4074.
- Copy of passport bio/photo page *
- Financial Documentation * # – we will need to verify that you can pay the estimated costs (tuition, fees, room, board, insurance, books, supplies, travel) for the time you will be in the U.S. Those applying to programs that last longer than 1 year will only need to provide proof for the first year at the time of application.
* = Items marked with * are only required for applicants who will be coming to the United States.
# = Items marked with # are not required with your initial application. You will submit them after you have been admitted to UNC.
For more information about UNC International Admissions and the UNC Center for International Education, please visit the International Admissions site, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 970-351-2831.