Master's Degree, Endorsement, & Certificate Options for Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education
Also Known as CLD, ESL, or Multilingual Education
These online Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education programs are designed to prepare specialist and general K-12 classroom teachers to meet the educational needs of emergent bilingual learners throughout Colorado, the United States and the world. The Course of Study section below provides details about the certificate, endorsement and master's degree options for this program topic.
Graduates of these programs demonstrate strong knowledge of the field of CLD education, skills in planning and implementing instruction and assessment, and the ability to collaborate and advocate for the academic success of CLD learners.
Increase your Value in Today's Diverse Educational Environment
As the population of multilingual learners in the country and internationally continues to grow, schools increasingly seek teachers licensed to work with CLD students. The majority of our graduates have promotions or new jobs in place upon completion of their program due to the high demand for teachers with these credentials.
Though school programs serving multilingual learners go by many names (CLD, ESL, EFL, bilingual, dual language immersion, etc.), our graduate programs prepare you to serve all culturally and linguistically diverse students. Schools are looking for CLD-trained teachers who know how to integrate language and content area instruction to promote academic, social, and personal growth among their students. These skills apply to teaching multilingual students in this country as well as abroad. You will be in high demand!
- Master's degree = 30
- Endorsement = 24
- Certificate = 12
Time to Completion:
- Master's/Endorsement: 5 terms (20 months)
- Certificate: varies based on course selection
Delivery Option & Start Terms:
Online program: start any term
Delivered Fully Online
The online delivery and varied program options are designed for working teachers, so that you can fit your educational journey into your lifestyle with a right-fit program that helps you reach your career goals.
Choose the best program option for your career goals:
- CLD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) Education Core Graduate Certificate – 12 credits in CLD education for skill and knowledge development, or licensure renewal requirements. For those with previous coursework in this topic, the certificate may help you reach the coursework requirement for CLD Education endorsement. Official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement (K-12) – those who complete the 24-credit endorsement program are eligible to apply for the Colorado CLD Education endorsement (and related endorsement in many other states). Official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Education Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT): Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Concentration – this 30-credit degree includes all of the endorsement coursework plus two additional courses. If you do not already have your CLD endorsement, you will be able to indicate in your application that you want to add the endorsement as part of this program. Official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
For an example of upcoming courses, visit the Current Students page for this program.
Certificate/Endorsement Course Waivers for UNC Alumni
For UNC graduates who received a grade of C+ or above in EDEL 250, TESL 350 and EDEL 455, the following courses will be waived towards the CLD endorsement or for one course of the certificate: ECLD 523, ECLD 592 and ECLD 602.
Per UNC policy, undergraduate courses cannot be counted toward completion of a master's degree, so this coursework will not be waived if you choose to pursue the degree.
Are you Bilingual / Multilingual?
Eligible CLD Endorsement/MA students who are bilingual in certain languages can also earn the Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Bilingual Education Specialist (Endorsement) via one additional course (ECLD 541). The Program Coordinator can advise whether you can/should add the additional endorsement.
- Learn more about the School of Teacher Education faculty.
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Bilingual Education Specialist (Endorsement)
- English Education (Master's)
- Teaching Diverse Learners (Master's; includes Endorsements)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL; Graduate Certificate)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages / Multilingual Education (TESOL; Master's)