Master's Degree, Endorsement, & Certificate Options for Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education
Also Known as CLD, ESL, or Multilingual Education
These online Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education programs are designed to prepare specialist and general K-12 classroom teachers to meet the educational needs of emergent bilingual learners throughout Colorado, the United States and the world. Choose the right program option for your career goals:
- CLD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) Education Core Graduate Certificate – 12 credits in CLD education for skill and knowledge development, or licensure renewal requirements. For those with previous coursework in this topic, the certificate may help you reach the coursework requirement for CLD Education endorsement.
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement (K-12) – those who complete the 24-credit endorsement program are eligible to apply for the Colorado CLD Education endorsement (and related endorsement in many other states).
- Education Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT): Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Emphasis – this 30-credit degree includes all of the endorsement coursework plus two additional courses. If you do not already have your CLD endorsement, you will be able to indicate in your application that you want to add the endorsement as part of this program.
Graduates of these programs demonstrate strong knowledge of the field of CLD education, skills in planning and implementing instruction and assessment, and the ability to collaborate and advocate for the academic success of CLD learners.
The online delivery and varied program options are designed for working teachers, so that you can fit your educational journey into your lifestyle with a right-fit program that helps you reach your career goals.
Increase your Value in Today's Diverse Educational Environment
As the population of multilingual learners in the country and internationally continues to grow, schools increasingly seek teachers licensed to work with CLD students. The majority of our graduates have promotions or new jobs in place upon completion of their program due to the high demand for teachers with these credentials.
Though school programs serving multilingual learners go by many names (CLD, ESL, EFL, bilingual, dual language immersion, etc.), our graduate programs prepare you to serve all culturally and linguistically diverse students. Schools are looking for CLD-trained teachers who know how to integrate language and content area instruction to promote academic, social, and personal growth among their students. These skills apply to teaching multilingual students in this country as well as abroad. You will be in high demand!
- Master's degree = 30
- Endorsement = 24
- Certificate = 12
Time to Completion:
- Master's/Endorsement: 5 terms (20 months)
- Certificate: varies based on course selection
Delivery Option & Start Terms:
Online program: start any term
Endorsement (24 Credit Hours) & Master's (30 Credit Hours) Courses
To see the upcoming courses, visit this program's Current Students page.
Courses below marked "**MAT-only" are for MAT students, and are not required for the endorsement-only students.
- ECLD 592 Second Language Acquisition Theory (3)
- ECLD 593 Language, School and Society (3)
- ECLD 594 Foundations of Language and Linguistics for ESL/Bilingual Educators (3)
- ECLD 602 Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Learners (3)
- ECLD 604 Field Experience in Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (3)
- ECLD 605 Seminar in Multilingual Teaching and Learning I (3) **MAT-only
- ECLD 611 CLD Methods and Assessment I (3)
- ECLD 612 CLD Methods and Assessment II (3)
- EDRD 523 Academic Language/Literacy Development for Diverse Learners in School Settings (3)
- SRM 600 Introduction to Graduate Research (3) **MAT-only
Certificate (12 Credit Hours) Courses
Of the courses above, certificate students will take ECLD 594, ECLD 604 and ECLD 611, as well as one of the following: ECLD 592, ECLD 593 or ECLD 602.
Certificate/Endorsement Course Waivers for UNC Alumni
For UNC graduates who received a grade of C+ or above in EDEL 250, TESL 350 and EDEL 455, the following courses will be waived towards the CLD endorsement or for one course of the certificate: ECLD 592, ECLD 602 and EDRD 523.
Per UNC policy, undergraduate courses cannot be counted toward completion of a master's degree, so this coursework will not be waived if you choose to pursue the degree.
For full details, see the official program listings in the UNC Graduate Catalog:
- Learn more about the School of Teacher Education faculty.