Online Degree and Endorsement for Culturally & Linguistically Diverse (CLD / ESL / Multilingual) Education
This online program offers two options designed to prepare specialist and general K-12 classroom teachers to meet the educational needs of emergent bilingual learners throughout Colorado, the United States and around the world:
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement (K-12) – this is the endorsement-only option.
- Education Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT): Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Emphasis – this degree includes all of the endorsement coursework plus two additional courses. If you do not already have your CLD endorsement, you will be able to indicate that you want endorsement as part of this program.
Graduates of our program demonstrate strong knowledge of the field of CLD education, skills in planning and implementing instruction and assessment, and the ability to collaborate and advocate for the academic success of CLD learners.
You can begin this online program any term: Summer, Spring or Fall. Earn your endorsement in approximately 16 months or your master's degree in under two years.
Attend an Online Information Meeting!
The Program & Enrollment Manager will share information about our online programs for licensed teachers and answer any questions you have. Attendees are entered for monthly UNC gift drawings.
1st Tuesday of each month, 6:00 PM Mountain Time
Location: Online – View monthly dates and register
Increase your Value in Today's Diverse Educational Environment
As the population of multilingual learners in the country and internationally continues to grow, schools increasingly seek teachers licensed to work with CLD students. The majority of our graduates have promotions or new jobs in place upon completion of their program due to the high demand for teachers with these credentials.
Though school programs serving multilingual learners go by many names (ESL, EFL, bilingual, dual language immersion, etc.), our graduate programs prepare you to serve all culturally and linguistically diverse students. Schools are looking for CLD-trained teachers who know how to integrate language and content area instruction to promote academic, social, and personal growth among their students. These skills apply to teaching multilingual students in this country as well as abroad. You will be in high demand!
- Master's degree = 30
- Endorsement = 24
Time to Completion:
5 terms (20 months)
Delivery Option & Start Terms:
Online program: start any term
Program & Enrollment Manager
Designed for Working Teachers
The Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement (K-12) is 24 credit hours.
Master's Degree with Optional Endorsement
The Education MAT: Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education Emphasis is 30 credit hours, which includes all of the endorsement coursework plus two additional courses.
Course Waivers for UNC Alumni
For UNC graduates who received a grade of C+ or above in EDEL 250, TESL 350 and EDEL 455, the following courses will be waived towards the CLD endorsement: ECLD 592, ECLD 602 and EDRD 523.
Per UNC policy, undergraduate courses cannot be counted toward completion of a master's degree, so this coursework will not be waived if you choose to pursue the degree.
To see the upcoming courses, visit this program's Current Students page.
Courses below marked **MAT-only are for MAT students, and are not required for the endorsement-only students.
- ECLD 592 Second Language Acquisition Theory (3)
- ECLD 593 Language, School and Society (3)
- ECLD 594 Foundations of Language and Linguistics for ESL/Bilingual Educators (3)
- ECLD 602 Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Learners (3)
- ECLD 604 Field Experience in Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (3)
- ECLD 605 Seminar in Multilingual Teaching and Learning I (3)
- ECLD 611 CLD Methods and Assessment I (3)
- ECLD 612 CLD Methods and Assessment II (3) **MAT-only
- EDRD 523 Academic Language/Literacy Development for Diverse Learners in School Settings (3)
- SRM 600 Introduction to Graduate Research (3) **MAT-only
Add a TESOL Graduate Certificate with Four Additional Credit Hours
You can add the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Graduate Certificate with just two courses (four total credit hours).
For full details, see the official program listings in the UNC Graduate Catalog:
- Learn more about the School of Teacher Education faculty.