An Online CLD Endorsement Program for Bilingual Educators
The Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) Bilingual Education Specialist (K-12) Endorsement program leads to a Colorado-recognized endorsement as a CLD Bilingual Education Specialist (K-12). Students will acquire second language acquisition knowledge and pedagogy skills to teach bilingually in a bilingual education setting.
This online program is designed for licensed teachers (or those currently enrolled in a teacher licensure program) who are proficient in approved bilingual education languages and who wish to teach bilingual (and multilingual) students. We have many related programs that may be a fit if this program does not exactly fit your background and career goals.
Program outcomes include...
- Language acquisition, linguistics and literacy development for bilingual learners
- CLD/multilingual language teaching methods and assessment
- CLD/multilingual education field experience
An Endorsement-Aligned Graduate Program for Bilingual Education
State-Recognized Endorsement: prepare yourself for a growing K-12 educational need/credential.
- Colorado: this program is approved by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) for the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Bilingual Education Specialist (K-12) endorsement.
- Outside Colorado: students from other states should check their state endorsement requirements to ensure that this program meets those stipulations or can be gained via reciprocity.
Bilingual Education Skills: no matter where you plan to teach, if you are bilingually proficient this program will help you work with bilingual or multilingual students who are learning English as an additional language. Bilingual educators are uniquely in tune with both the challenges and benefits of bilingual learning, and this program adds the skills that allow you to better address bilingual student needs.
Time to Completion:
Typically 4 academic terms (about 16 months)
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program: start any term
This program is approved by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Bilingual Education Specialist (K-12) endorsement.
Coursework (24 Credit Hours)
- Courses in this program are delivered fully online, so that you can fit your studies into your busy schedule.
- Many students will complete this program in four academic terms (approximately 16 months, including summer) by taking two 3-credit courses per term. Alternative plans can also be accommodated depending on course availability and your enrollment preferences.
For full program requirement details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Learn more about the Multilingual Education faculty.
- Learn more about the School of Teacher Education faculty.
If you are proficient in another language but do not have your teaching license, consider the World Languages / Multilingual Education (Master's with Licensure; Become a Teacher). You can also add the CLDBE endorsement described on this page if you want to work with bilingual students.
If you are a licensed teacher who wants to work with emergent bilingual learners, but you are not bilingual, consider the Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (Master's, Endorsement or Certificate).
If you want to teach English as a Foreign Language (EFL / TEFL) in international settings, or English as a Second Language (ESL) in domestic settings in which a teaching license is not required, consider...