Online Educational Technology Graduate Programs
Master's Degree or Graduate Certificate
These online Educational Technology graduate programs provide you with rigorous but practical experience in educational technology innovation and pedagogical practices. A master's degree and a graduate certificate are available. See the Course of Study section below for details.
Defining a new learning environment requires a set of technologies and social practices where meaning is delivered and consumed in new formats. Our faculty encourage collaborative research and other scholarly projects, and some coursework options offer opportunities to publish research and present in scholarly venues.
Educational Technology Trends & Resources
Educational Technology faculty member Matthew Farber writes on many educational technology topics, including game-based learning and social-emotional learning. See his articles on Edutopia.org.
Drive Innovation For the Future of Education
The goal of the program is to develop education professionals and classroom teachers that have foundational theoretical knowledge of technology-infused pedagogy for transformative teaching and learning. Graduates work in a variety of learning contexts (K-12, higher education, online environments, military training, business/organizational, and international settings) as scholars, educators, professional developers, program developers and consultants.
- Master's degree = 30
- Certificate = 12
Time to Completion:
- Master's: 2 years or less
- Certificate: varies based on course selection
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program: Start any term
Focused Online Learning
The online Educational Technology programs are designed for working educators and professionals.
- Courses are scheduled so that you can take one course at a time, but still complete two courses per term.
- Fall and Spring term courses are eight weeks each, and Summer term courses are six weeks each.
Choose the master's degree, certificate or both programs based on your career goals:
- Educational Technology Master of Arts – 30 credit hours with a variety of elective course options. You can concentrate toward a preferred specialty, or develop a broad base across innovation, pedagogical integration and instructional design. Official master's degree program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Educational Technology - Innovative Pedagogy Graduate Certificate – 12 credit hours with elective options focused on innovative pedagogy. The certificate can be taken separately, or added by master's students as an en route certificate. Official certificate program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
For an example of upcoming courses, visit the Current Students page for this program.
Meet Faculty and Fellow Students
Though this is a fully online program, educational technology conferences are a great place to meet your instructors and fellow students. Contact the Program Coordinator for details.