An Online Master's Degree (with Endorsement) Focused on Literacy, Reading & Writing Instruction
Designed for Working K-12 Teachers
The online Literacy Master of Arts program, which includes Reading Teacher (K-12) Endorsement preparation, provides you with specialized literacy practice for today’s challenging classrooms. In addition, you will be prepared as an evolving educational leader, engaging in the problem solving so important for student growth in traditional and modern literacies.
This master's degree can be completed in less than two years (five academic terms). The online delivery allows you to fit your coursework around your busy schedule.
Attend an Online Information Meeting!
The Program & Enrollment Manager will share information about our online programs for licensed teachers and answer any questions you have. Attendees are entered for monthly UNC gift drawings.
1st Tuesday of each month, 6:00 PM Mountain Time
Location: Online – View monthly dates and register
A Full Reading/Literacy Program, Not Just a Specialization
You uniquely see how young learners' successes and failures in reading and writing have an impact on their educational path. You want more of your students to experience the competence and pleasures of literacy.
UNC is the only institution in Colorado authorized to confer a master's degree focused entirely on literacy. Where many institutions offer a mix of generalist core classes and some literacy classes, our program is made up entirely of literacy courses.
As a master's degree that includes coursework specific to endorsement preparation, this program will make licensed teachers eligible to apply for the Reading Teacher added endorsement in Colorado. Students from other states should check their state endorsement requirements to ensure that this program meets those stipulations or can be gained via reciprocity.
Act as a school leader by directing reading and literacy programs, staff development and curriculum development at the school level.
With this credential, you can stay in your own classroom or take on a more focused literacy position.
- For classroom teachers, the growth in demand for individualized reading and writing instruction for Response to Intervention and new standards make reading an area of study that will have a big impact on classrooms in coming years.
- Our unique program will also make you highly competitive for many literacy-oriented district and school positions, such as Literacy Specialist, Reading Intervention Teacher or Literacy Coach. These roles direct reading and literacy programs, staff development and curriculum development at the school level.
Time to Completion:
5 Terms (about 20 months)
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program: starts each Summer term
Program & Enrollment Manager
Required Courses (30 Credit Hours)
To see the upcoming courses, visit this program's Current Students page.
- ELIT 610 Literacy Teaching (3)
- ELIT 615 Family & Community Literacy (3)
- ELIT 621 New Literacies (3)
- ELIT 623 Classroom Literacy Research Design (3)
- ELIT 630 Children's Literature (3)
- ELIT 631 Content Literacy (3)
- ELIT 632 Teaching Writing (3)
- ELIT 671 Practical Literacy Assessment (3)
- ELIT 672 Literacy Leadership (3)
- ELIT 693 Capstone Literacy Seminar Implementing Research (3) - In this capstone course, you select a topic from major trends in literacy education and complete original action research.
Preparation for Reading Teacher Endorsement
By completing this master's program, students fulfill the requirements for the institutional recommendation as a K-12 Reading Teacher in Colorado.
- Students wishing to obtain the Colorado Reading Teacher Grades K-12 Endorsement must provide evidence of two or more years of teaching experience in an accredited and/or established elementary, middle or secondary school while holding a type A or teaching license equivalent certificate.
- Students from other states should check their state endorsement requirements to ensure that this program meets those stipulations or can be gained via reciprocity.
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
What Our Students Say...
"Working side by side with other teachers from the area has not only allowed me to gain knowledge of new best practices, but has given me a collegial cadre of friends who share a passion for children and teaching. In every way, UNC has been a positive experience.”
– Kimberly Bontempo, Graduate
"I am currently in my 22nd year of teaching where I have taught from Kindergarten through 8th grade, and going back to graduate school was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The pace was perfect and the courses were always very engaging."
– Penny Hahn, Graduate