A Master's Degree with Special Education Generalist & Culturally Linguistically Diverse Endorsements
The Teaching Diverse Learners Master of Arts degree program is designed for current licensed teachers who would like to earn added endorsements in both Special Education Generalist and Culturally Linguistically Diverse (CLD). You will enhance your ability to recognize and develop the cognitive, linguistic and classroom skills of these two growing populations of learners.
- Dual Endorsements: In addition to earning your master's degree, this program incorporates all of the coursework and field experiences necessary to receive both endorsements.
- Online Delivery for Your Convenience: the online delivery lets you fit coursework around your schedule.
Expand Your Career Options with Two Highly Valued Teaching Credentials
This program gives you important, high-demand skills for mainstream classroom teaching. Virtually every school is experiencing growth in the number of students who have special educational needs as well as those who bring cultural and language diversity to the classroom. Teachers who are able to assist these learners in ways that enhance the learning experience of every student in the classroom are highly valued.
Teachers who wish to become pull-out teachers for language learners and/or those with special educational needs will be endorsed for those roles as well.
The theories, skills and strategies included in this program—and the official endorsements towards which they prepare you—will put you in high demand. More importantly, this program will help you connect with these students in ways that empower their journey to academic success.
Time to Completion:
5 terms (20 months)
Delivery Option & Start Terms:
Online program: start any term
Delivered Fully Online
The course of study blends program coursework to fit the Colorado requirements for each of the following:
- Special Education Generalist endorsement
- Culturally Linguistically Diverse endorsement
This includes courses dedicated to each separate discipline, discipline-blended courses and discipline-blended field experience. Field experiences occur together in one semester, near the end of the program.
Students from other states should check their state endorsement requirements to ensure that this program meets those stipulations or can be gained via reciprocity.
Coursework (33 Credit Hours)
For an example of upcoming courses, visit the Current Students page for this program.
For full program requirement details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (Master's, Endorsement or Certificate)
- Special Education Generalist (Master's or Endorsement)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL; Graduate Certificate)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages / Multilingual Education (TESOL; Master's)