Master's Degree Focused on Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The Multilingual Education Master of Arts degree program prepares leaders and advanced-practice teachers in language education. This Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Concentration of the program prepares students with advanced knowledge, skills, and cross-cultural competencies to work with EFL students of all ages in international settings or non K-12 ESL (adult education) students in the United States.
Our students have opportunities throughout the program to engage in immersive learning opportunities—whether designing curriculum for local schools or schools in another country, developing language assessments, or teaching in school, university, or community settings. Internships, practicum and/or student teaching in language education are available both in the U.S. and around the world.
Work in EFL and Adult ESL Education
The online program serves students around the U.S. and the world. Our graduates will become teachers and administrators in K-12 schools in other countries, and in universities and community colleges in the U.S. and around the world. Our program will also successfully prepare you for doctoral studies.
The Best Preparation for the Best Opportunities
A TESOL master's degree from UNC elevates your preparation and skill above those who hold TESL/TEFL certificates. Open up a world of opportunity with this degree.
Time to Completion:
5 terms (20 months)
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program: start any term
Delivered Fully Online
- The online delivery make it easier to fit your coursework requirements around your busy schedule.
- You can start this program any academic term (Fall, Spring or Summer).
Coursework (30 Total Credit Hours)
This program features elective options that let you pursue the teaching topics that are most important to you.
For an example of upcoming courses, visit the Current Students page for this program. Additional sections of elective courses options are available each term via advisement support for admitted students.
For full program requirement details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
Candidates must successfully pass a comprehensive exam at the end of the master's degree program.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL; Graduate Certificate)
- World Languages / Multilingual Education (Master's with Licensure; Become a Teacher)
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Bilingual Education Specialist (Endorsement)
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (Master's, Endorsement or Certificate)
- Teaching Diverse Learners (Master's; Includes Endorsements)