A Mostly Online Theatre Education Master's Degree with Applied Summer Workshops
The Theatre Education Master of Arts – Theatre Educator Intensive program is an academically rigorous program examining the philosophical, theoretical and practical implications in the field of theatre education. In this program, students will reflect on the bigger challenges that constantly face theatre educators in the classroom—and more broadly in the country.
This master's program features online delivery in the Fall and Spring academic terms, plus Summer workshops, to fit into the schedules of current and aspiring theatre educators. The summer workshops will involve viewing and working on theatre productions and attending classes.
Career Options for Graduates
Because of our mostly online delivery model, we have been able to help educators nationwide take their instructional skills to new heights. UNC-trained theatre educators are developing gifted performers, skillful technicians and dazzling productions at universities, colleges and high schools throughout the United States.
Congratulations to Mary Schuttler
Winner of the 2019 Educational Theatre Association Founder's Award
Congratulations to Program Coordinator and professor Mary Schuttler, who received the Founder's Award from the Educational Theatre Association at their national conference. The award recognizes an individual or group who has made significant contributions to the growth and development of theatre education, research, and practice.
Time to Completion:
2 1/2 years
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program + Summer Greeley workshops: starts each Fall term
This focused program can be completed in two and a half years, and consists of...
- Four 3-credit online courses (graduate transfer credits may also apply).
- Two 3-week in-person summer institutes for 18 credits.
- Six credits of comprehensive exams taken over two semesters.
Coursework (36 Credit Hours)
For an example of upcoming courses, visit the Current Students page.
Core Courses (33 Credit Hours)
- THED 530 Theatrical Production I (3)
- THED 531 Theatrical Production II (3)
- THED 540 Directing/Acting: Realism and Non-Realism/Period Styles (3)
- THED 541 Directing/Acting: Musical Theatre (3)
- THED 560 Innovative Strategies in Drama Education (3)
- THED 561 Voice and Movement (3)
- THED 600 Dramaturgy /Research Methodology (3)
- THED 670 Advocacy, History and Philosophy of Theatre Education (3)
- THED 680 Theatre Education Curriculum Development (3)
- THED 696 Action Research I (3)
- THED 697 Action Research II (3)
Theatre Electives (3 Credit Hours)
- Approved 500 or 600 level Theatre course (3)
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
What Our Students Say...
"I use what I learned in UNC’s TEI program almost every day. The knowledge I gained has given me many tools and ideas to use in my classroom."
– Jim Kaiser, Theatre Arts Teacher
- Visit the School of Theatre Arts and Dance program page for additional program and faculty information.