Master's Degree, Endorsement, & Certificate Options for Teaching the Gifted, Talented & Creative
Help gifted students develop to their full potential and reach your own potential with an endorsement, certificate and/or a master’s degree focused on educating the gifted and talented. The curriculum for this program was developed through a collaborative effort of UNC faculty, colleagues from the public schools, and the Colorado Department of Education to specifically address the new standards for educators of gifted and talented students.
Choose the right gifted education program option for your career goals:
- Special Education Master of Arts – Gifted Education Specialist Endorsement: this degree includes the endorsement preparation.
- Gifted Education Core Endorsement (Ages 4-21): this is the endorsement-only option.
- Gifted Education Graduate Certificate (Non-Endorsement): the graduate certificate provides a strong foundation in the field.
Enriching Summer Visits
So that you can apply program concepts in-person with gifted students, you will have the benefit of a short 2 1/2 week on-campus (Greeley, Colorado) visit aligned with the UNC Summer Enrichment Program (SEP). The SEP hosts learners (5th-10th grade) who are gifted, talented and creative. There is also an optional on-campus field experience during the first summer of coursework. All on-campus visits are optional for certificate students.
Please note: the on-campus summer experiences are contingent upon the ability to host the SEP activities for gifted students. If the program is not able to be held, any required credits will be fulfilled via distance learning activities and practicum experiences in your school/district.
Becoming Highly Effective in Teaching the Gifted, Talented and Creative
With the master's plus endorsement, endorsement-only and certificate options, our Gifted and Talented teaching program can serve both those with a bachelor's degree and teacher licensure, and those with a master's degree in education seeking the Gifted Education Endorsement.
- Certificate: 12
- Endorsement: 24
- Master's: 33
Time to Completion:
- Certificate: 1 year
- Endorsement: 20 months (5 terms)
- Master's: 2 years
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Starts each Fall term
- Certificate: Online + Optional Summer *Greeley Visits
- Endorsement & Master's: Online + Summer *Greeley Visits
*If able to be hosted
To see a typical list of courses per term, visit an example Current Program Students page.
Certificate (12 Credit Hours)
- EDSE 664 Diversity in Gifted Education (3)
- EDSE 683 Nature and Needs of Gifted Learners (3)
- EDSE 685 Differentiated Curriculum & Instruction for Gifted Learners (3)
- EDSE 686 Social and Emotional Needs of Gifted Learners (3)
Endorsement (24 Credit Hours)
All certificate courses listed above, plus the following courses:
- EDSE 684 Assessment & Identification in Gifted Education (3)
- EDSE 687 Program Strategies and Services for Gifted Learners (3)
- EDSE 688 Communication, Collaboration & Leadership in Gifted Education (3)
- EDSE 691 Practicum in Teaching Gifted Learners (1-12) – most endorsement and master's students will take 3 hours.
Master of Arts Degree (33 Credit Hours)
All certificate and endorsement courses listed above, plus the following courses:
- EDSE 665 Advocacy in Gifted Education (3)
- EDSE 690 Action Research & Reflective Practice in Gifted Education (3)
- SRM 600 Introduction to Graduate Research (3)
For full details, see the official program listings in the UNC Graduate Catalog:
- We also encourage you to visit the Center for the Education & Study of Gifted, Talented, Creative Learners who develops and administers the program.
- Learn more about the Special Education Faculty.
Gifted Education Leadership Program
Other Related Programs
- Special Education: Deaf & Hard of Hearing (Master's)
- Special Education: Early Childhood (Master's or Endorsement)
- Special Education: Generalist (Master's or Endorsement)
- Special Education – Intervention Specialist: Academic Coaching & Leadership (Master's)
- Special Education: Visual Impairment (Master's)