A Master's Degree for Leadership and Advanced Skills in Special Education Intervention
The Special Education Master of Arts – Intervention Specialist: Academic Coaching & Leadership Emphasis program is designed for people who have worked as a special education teacher and are seeking more education/training at the graduate level in order to become a leader in the work setting.
This comprehensive master's degree will foster academic, behavioral and social success for students.
Program outcomes include...
- Highly qualified special educator literacy and mathematics skills
- Research-based instructional interventions to meet students' needs
- Mentoring and instructional coaching competencies
- Culturally responsive approaches to address the needs of diverse students and their families
- The ability to advance to leadership positions in your school
Time to Completion:
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program: start any term
This program is designed to work around your busy schedule. Courses are delivered entirely online with one 8-week course at a time. This means you can take two courses each semester and finish in two years (six terms).
Required Coursework (34 Credit Hours)
To see the upcoming courses, visit this program's Current Students page.
Core Intervention Specialist Courses (12 Credit Hours)
- EDSE 670 Legal and Policy Foundations of Special Education (3)
- EDSE 672 Leadership in the School Community (3)
- EDSE 673 Research and Reflective Practice (3)
- SRM 600 Introduction to Graduate Research (3)
Academic Coaching and Leadership Emphasis Coursework (22 Credit Hours)
- EDSE 675 Issues in Special Education Assessment (3)
- EDSE 676 Assessment and Interventions for Students with Challenging Behaviors (3)
- EDSE 677 Transition to Adulthood for Youth with Exceptionalities (3)
- EDSE 678 Strategies for Students with Autism/Significant Needs (3)
- EDSE 679 Interventions for Students with Cultural and Linguistic Differences (3)
- EDSE 696 Practicum in Instructional Coaching (1-9) *(1-9 variable credit hours with a minimum of 1 credit required.)
- EED 610 Interventions in Literacy (3)
- MED 645 Interventions in Mathematics (3)
For full details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
- This is one of two emphasis options for the online Special Education Master of Arts – Intervention Specialist program. If you want an intervention program focused on Applied Behavior Analysis, see our BACB®-verified Special Education MA: Intervention Specialist – Applied Behavior Analysis Emphasis.
- Learn more about the School of Special Education Faculty.