An Online TESOL Graduate Certificate for EFL, TEFL or ESL Teaching
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Graduate Certificate prepares you to teach either:
- English as a Foreign Language (EFL / TEFL) in international settings, or
- English as a Second Language (ESL) in domestic settings in adult education or other contexts in which a teaching license is not required.
This certificate includes an experiential component during your final semester which will allow you to apply concepts and skills you've learned by working one-on-one with an English language learner.
A Variety of Career Options
This internationally marketable certificate prepares you for employment in the high-demand field known as Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or Teaching English as a Foreign or Second Language (EFL / TEFL / ESL). With this graduate certificate you have the flexibility to live and work overseas, or teach diverse populations in the U.S. in non-school based settings.
This program is not associated with a teaching license.
A Premier Credential
There are various credentials related to teaching English to adult students. A graduate-level TESOL certificate from a respected research university like UNC is highly valued by employers, and is broadly useful in that it covers teaching in both the ESL and TEFL contexts.
Time to Completion:
Varies - see Course of Study tab
Delivery Option & Start Term:
Online program: start any term
Time to Completion
This is a flexible enrollment certificate. Depending on your preferences and which term you start, you can...
- Finish in two semesters;
- Finish in about one year;
- Take just one course per term and finish in 20 months.
Coursework (13 Credit Hours)
For an example of upcoming courses, visit the Current Students page for this program.
For full program requirement details, see the official program listing in the UNC Graduate Catalog.
TESOL as Part of a Master's Degree
- The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages / Multilingual Education (TESOL; Master's) is a master's degree version of this program.
- Students who complete the Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (Master's or Endorsement) program and add in this TESOL certificate will not be required to take EDFE 501.
- Students who complete the World Languages / Multilingual Education (Master's with Licensure; Become a Teacher) program that take EDFE 501 in a world languages setting and also add in this TESOL certificate will still need to take EDFE 501 in a TESOL setting.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages / Multilingual Education (TESOL; Master's)
- World Languages / Multilingual Education (Master's with Licensure; Become a Teacher)
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (Master's, Endorsement or Certificate)
- Teaching Diverse Learners (Master's; includes Endorsements)