A Master's Degree or Endorsement Focused on Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)
This program is designed to prepare you as an early childhood special educator to meet the unique educational needs of children with and without disabilities from birth to age 8. You can take this as a master's degree or an endorsement-only program:
- Special Education Master of Arts – Early Childhood Special Education Emphasis – this degree includes the endorsement preparation.
- Early Childhood Special Education Endorsement (Ages 0-8 yrs) – this is the endorsement-only option.
You will develop a range of specialized skills for work in classrooms and community-based settings with children who are at-risk and their families. The program focuses on promoting families as partners, collaborative and cross-disciplinary service approaches, recommended intervention practices, and appropriate practices for work with children and their families across the range of abilities and cultural experiences.
Towards the end of the program you will gain extensive experience working with three age groups (infant/toddlers, preschool and K-3), which will allow you to apply the knowledge you have attained. These practicum courses each require 150 hours in the field, and they fulfill licensing and program requirements.
Flexible Delivery Options for Current and Future Educators
The Extended Campus deliveries are intended for working professionals. Choose between our online program and a hybrid program where coursework is delivered in Denver and online.
You do not need to be a licensed teacher to take this program. You can earn eligibility for your teaching license and endorsement via this program. If you are already a licensed teacher, you will add this endorsement area to your existing license.
In addition to the skills and knowledge this program will add to your educational practices, successful completion of this program can make you eligible for the following licensures and/or endorsements:
- Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Early Childhood Special Education Generalist License/Endorsement
- CDE Early Childhood Special Education Specialist Endorsement
- Colorado Department of Human Services Child Care Director’s License
If you plan to work outside of Colorado, please check with your licensing/credentialing agencies to ensure that this program will make you eligible for equivalent credentials in your area.
A History of Excellence
The School of Special Education at the University of Northern Colorado has a long history of excellence in the preparation of special education teachers. The school is fully accredited by the Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado Higher Learning Commission.
- Endorsement-only: 33
- Master's with endorsement: 36
Time to Completion:
Delivery Options & Start Terms:
- Denver + Online: Start any term
- Online: Start any term
Required Courses (33-36 Credit Hours)
Master's degree students will take one more course (three credit hours) than endorsement-only students. That course is labeled below.
- EDSE 510 Foundations of Special Education (3)
- EDSE 511 Content Accessibility for CLD and Students with Identified Needs (3)
- EDSE 512 Assessment, IEP Development and Instructional Planning (3)
- EDSE 530 Family/Professional Partnerships (3)
- EDSE 531 Assessment and Planning in Early Childhood Special Education (3)
- EDSE 532 Typical and Atypical Early Child Development: Application to Early Childhood Special Education (3)
- EDSE 533 Curriculum and Instruction in Early Childhood Special Education (3)
- EDSE 534 Research, Policy, and Advocacy in Early Childhood Special Education (3)
- EDSE 537 Practicum in EC/ECSE: Infants and Toddlers (2)
- EDSE 538 Practicum in EC/ECSE: 3-5 years (2)
- EDSE 539 Practicum in EC/ECSE: 5-8 years (2)
- EDSE 616 Scientifically Based Literacy Interventions (3)
- SRM 600 Introduction to Graduate Research (3) *only required for Master's students
For full details, see the official program listings in the UNC Graduate Catalog:
- Special Education Master of Arts: Early Childhood Special Education Emphasis
- Early Childhood Special Education Endorsement (Ages 0-8 yrs) [Please note: the program name has been updated for the upcoming 2021-22 UNC graduate catalog. The current catalog linked here will still show the previous program name.]
- Learn more about the Special Education Faculty.
- Applied Behavior Analysis (Graduate Certificate; BCBA-Related)
- Special Education: Deaf & Hard of Hearing (Master's)
- Special Education: Generalist (Master's or Endorsement)
- Special Education: Gifted Education (Master's, Endorsement or Certificate)
- Special Education – Intervention Specialist: Academic Coaching & Leadership (Master's)
- Special Education – Intervention Specialist: Applied Behavior Analysis (Master's; BCBA-Related)
- Special Education: Visual Impairment (Master's)