Resources & Resolution Options

Student Consumer Information

Use the link below for an overview of the information that University of Northern Colorado and other U.S. institutions of higher education are required to provide to current and prospective students, parents, and employees so that they may make informed decisions about post-secondary education.

More about UNC Student Consumer Information

UNC Dean of Students

The Dean of Students and their team are here to support current and former students in their learning and educational outcomes. This includes helping students who would like to...

File a Complaint – about a course or experience with UNC.

Report a Concern – regarding other students, faculty or staff.

Visit the Dean of Students Site

Photo of UNC students and faculty sitting in a circle talking

Complaint Resolution for Distance Education Students

Distance education is an important part of the University of Northern Colorado’s program offerings. If you are enrolled in distance education and need to file a complaint, please follow the steps below.

Step 1 – Contact UNC

If you have a complaint or concern about your educational experience, or a student, faculty or staff member, please contact Extended Campus or the UNC Dean of Students office.

Step 2 – Outside Support for Resolution

Students may seek outside support for resolution of complaints through UNC’s accreditor or through an appropriate state agency. Below is information on UNC’s accreditation agency, followed by complaint assistance through UNC’s participation in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA).

UNC's Accreditor

The University of Northern Colorado is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA). The Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE) has authorized the University to offer undergraduate and graduate level courses and certificates, as well as baccalaureate, masters, doctorate, and professional degrees. Information regarding the complaint process can be found on the HLC website.

Complaint Resolution Assistance for SARA Participating Institutions

The University of Northern Colorado participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA), a voluntary, regional initiative that provides postsecondary institutions a streamlined approach for offering distance education to students outside the institution’s home state. UNC's participation in SARA allows UNC to offer distance education to students in all SARA member states without obtaining individual approval from each state.

If students located in a SARA member state have a complaint about a SARA participating institution, complaints must first go through the institution’s procedure for resolution of student complaints (outlined above). If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process, eligible complaints may then be brought to the SARA portal agency in the institution's home state. Please review the SARA student complaint process and visit the Colorado SARA portal agency for more information.

California is not currently a SARA member state. If students located in California have a complaint about an institution in another state, students are encouraged to first exhaust the institution's procedure for resolution of student complaints. Students may also submit a complaint through the California Department of Consumer Affairs.